1967 Fiat 124 Spider restoration
“This Fiat 124 Spider is like no other in the world. Not only is it one of two only surviving factory painted black 124 Spiders from 1967, it’s also had a meticulous concours restoration, taking some 14 years to complete. The result is spectacular. This Fiat is now ranked as one of the best in the world”. (Michael Polito’s story in Machines and Macchiatos)
When Michael Polito decided to do a complete restoration of his very rare 1967 Fiat 124 Spider, he chose Impact Panel Works to carry out the auto body restoration.
“I decided she deserved a concourse restoration, everything done properly with absolutely no shortcuts”.
The goal for the exterior was perfection
Another quote from Michael’s story in Machines and Macchiatos:
“Original new old stock panels were sourced over a long gruelling three-year period, including shock towers, inner skirts and fenders. Adrian at Impact Panel Works in Moorooka Brisbane spent over 4 years getting the body shell to where it needed to be. Innovative techniques like Zinc Metallisation Flame Spray was used instead of lead wiping. This also coated the car with a zinc coating that acts as a rust inhibitor. So it was a win win.
The goal for the exterior was perfection. It had to be, as she was going to be painted in its original black colour, a colour known to be unforgiving of the slightest imperfections”.
Gallery of the Restoration Process
Gallery of Completed Restoration
This gallery highlights the completed restoration …truly something to be proud of.
Impact Panel Works is proud to be associated with this project and wishes Michael many years of enjoyment of his pride and joy.
This vehicle has since gone on to win an impressive list of awards.
- Best In Class (Fiat Convertible) AutoItalia 2017
- Best In Class – AROCA Concours D’Elegance 2017
- Best In Class – Noosa Classic Car Show 2017
- Finalist – RACQ Motorfest 2017
- Best In Class (Fiat Convertible) AutoItalia 2018
- Best In The Show – AutoItalia 2018
- Show Champion – Festival of Elegance (Concours) Gold Coast 2018
- Best Original – Brisbane Car Show 2018
- Show And Shine Winner – The Festival of Italian Motorsport 2018
- Best In Class – RACQ Motorfest 2020
- Motorclassica (invitational Concours event). 2018